Writing SEO friendly content is an art. It will take your writing skill to the next level.
Well, anyone can write an article, but a skilled writer works in quite a technical way. Here is the process:
- Step 1: Start with content research
- Step 2: Research the best keywords
- Step 3: Write SEO friendly content
- Step 4: Proofread / Optimize content
Most bloggers think that high quality content is the key to ranking in Google. But in reality, this is absolutely not like that. When high quality content synchronises with SEO parameters, it can be called SEO friendly content.
In this guide, I am going to share some SEO examples on how to write SEO friendly blog posts (step 3) and what things you should keep in mind before writing any content.
Before Writing Task: Explore Content Writing Strategy from Top Competitors
Doing research on content and keywords is a must to do a job. Otherwise content writing will be a waste of time.
Using the SEMrush SEO content template, I explore important recommendations based upon the top 10 competitors on a specific topic.
Let’s say, we are going to write an article on SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGEMENT. When we put this idea on the SEMrush Content Template, we will get lots of SEO content writing tips.
SEO Content Writing Tips:
- SEMrush shares data based upon Google’s top 10 search results. This means the recommendations may change if there is any position change for blog posts on the search result page. If you use SEMrush Content Template, you can stay updated with the latest ranking updates.
- We all know that designing content with keywords is a mandatory task if we are working on SEO. Now the question is what keywords should we include? To get this answer, just check out the above screenshot once again and include them while writing.
- I love to explore SEMrush because it keeps surprising me. Often people struggle to get backlink ideas even after publishing their contents. But, when you are using SEMrush, you will have all the possible data with your hand before starting to write anything. So, here are the backlink websites where top competitors have already built their backlinks.
- As per the latest algorithm update, readability score became an important factor to rank on Google. If we plan to write this content, we must maintain an average readability score of 51+ out of 100.
- Last but not the least, we have to focus on writing at least 1526+ words to break search results as the top 10 competitors have written on average 1526 words.
Once logged in, navigate to SEO CONTENT TEMPLATE (left dashboard). Just enter your topic and target location and then click on CREATE SEO CONTENT.
That’s all. You are done.
Generate a List of Content Topics: Most Demanding Over the Internet
Now we have a writing strategy or we can call it an SEO content writing template. Now the bigger the question is what will we write about? Are those topics people are really interested in reading?
Let’s try to find answers to these questions.
Okay, I am going to share some methods using which we can get the most demanding topics as on date. Before proceeding further, just have a look at what benefits we can get.
- First of all, we will have an idea of what readers are looking for (i.e. trending content idea)
- After writing the blog post, we can reach those readers and answer them in their questions. From this action, we will get the target audience related to the topic.
- When we reach the target audience, then we will have control over our BOUNCE RATE.
So, we will explore some Q&A forum (most popular) then will learn an automated process to save our time. There are a couple of Q&A forums over the Internet. But my personal favourite is Quora.
Just create a FREE account on Quora and specify your point of interest. You will get tons of questions from readers. Just solve their problems by answering the questions and keep updating those solutions in your blog post.
Well this method is very effective but time consuming. If you feel bored while using this method, I have an interesting tool to share with you. Let’s explore Answer The Public tool.
Once you have navigated to Answer The Public tool, just enter your topic, target location and language and then click on the SEARCH button.
Let’s check what readers are interested in reading on SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGEMENT.
And here is the list.
This tool has covered almost every possible question related to SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGEMENT. The best part is that you can download all these ideas in CSV format to use later.
Never Ignore Google Recommendations
Have you ever noticed PEOPLE ALSO ASK in Google search result page?
Of course you have.
Now the next trick is to utilise the PEOPLE ALSO ASK section. Pick questions related to your content and start writing answers in your content. Don’t stop after writing a single answer, keep updating as much as you can.
What benefit do we get from PEOPLE ALSO ASK?
Well, these questions are considered the most asked question over Google. If we include these questions into our blog post, ranking opportunities will increase.
Next time people ask these questions on Google, your content will be visible over there.
How do I write an SEO friendly article?
Now we have a couple of tasks to complete.
- Write a lengthy content (at least 1526+ words)
- Include all possible content ideas (Content Research Popular Methods)
- Include most suggested keywords
- Build a backlink strategy
- Improve readability score
There are a couple of factors we should know while publishing our content.
Let’s dive into those factors.
Differentiate Titles for Google Bots and Readers
Title optimization is a complex task if we fail to differentiate between search engine bots and readers.
If the title is optimised only for SEO purposes, it may decrease the click through rate (CTR). It does not matter what your ranking position is on search results. Most of the time people get attracted to clickable titles first.
On average, five times as many people read the headline as read the body copy. When you have written your headline, you have spent eighty cents out of your dollar.David Ogilvy
I use my target keywords in the content title so that the search engine bot can find it. Similarly I include emotion so that readers can feel they have found what they are looking for.
Considering both SEO and reader requirements, I use a simple but effective method to generate an optimized title in my blog.
The above screenshot is an example of how I choose the best titles based upon the top scores. Read more about the method of title optimization I use.
Use Target Keywords in Meta Description
If you are using WordPress as your Content Management System (CMS), then this task will become quite easy for you. Take any of the SEO plugins and the rest to be taken care of by the plugin itself.
If your meta descriptions on previous blog posts are not published, just go back and update all of them. Because Google checks the target keyword in meta descriptions as well as the article and title.
You can learn more about meta descriptions in a detailed guide with some interesting facts and its relation with ranking factors.
Use Visual Content to Increase Interest
Visual content is not directly involved with SEO writing. But you should optimize those if you are using them.
For example, I use lots of screenshots to help readers to understand in a better way. From my experience, I would suggest using some visual content to make the content more interesting. Otherwise readers may feel bored while reading lengthy content.
Disclaimer: search engines can’t read visual content. It is our responsibility to ensure that they can understand what the image is about.
Always mention image titles and alternative texts to help search engine bots understand what the image is about.
Increase Reading Experience
I always try to write in small paragraphs. It’s all about 2-3 lines in each. Well this is not an SEO factor but obviously this action helps to prove an excellent reading experience to readers.
This action will increase the content readability score.
Internal linking : Design Contents like Wikipedia
When writing a new post, it is a good idea to give users some extra information related to the content. This action will help us in two ways.
- If any reader gets more information, they will be interested to read further. This action will help to reduce BOUNCE RATE – which is an important SEO factor.
- The search engine bot will crawl through those internal links which will lead to a chance for search visibility.
As you can see from the above screenshot, this is the overall bounce rate to my blog. When I write anything on my blog, I try to write related things so that readers can get a basic to advance level experience on the specific topic.
When you are writing more content on a specific topic, you can link them like Wikipedia does in their content. This is one of the key reasons we all love to read on Wikipedia.
From an SEO point of view, Google also loves this action.
I use a couple of tools to make this process automated to save time. Make sure to learn how I manage to design internal links in an effective and intelligent way while publishing any post.
Proofreading / Content Optimization
When we have completed the content writing, we will proceed further with proofreading. We need to complete a couple of checklists on this step.
- Eliminate grammatical errors
- Ensure to keep all paragraphs in 2-3 sentences
- Maintain a decent Content length
- Whether suggested keywords are included or not
- Check SEO score
- Check readability score
While exploring SEMRUSH CONTENT TEMPLATE, we have learned to create an SEO content strategy. The above checklist is a result of our strategy.
But how do we know whether we have executed the strategy successfully or not?
This process is quite lengthy. This is why I have written another tutorial on how to optimise content in a professional way.
If my tutorial is helpful for you, do support by sharing this content with your social profiles. And don’t forget to upload optimized content next time on your blog.
Good Luck !!
Hi. Welcome to my Digital Diary, MSP Learning Academy. Here I am posting what I am exploring in Digital World. If you found my diary worthy, you can JOIN me to explore more. And I believe we both can be a Digital King.